Monthly Email News for the Architectural Aluminium Industry

Second year of zero landfill
May 2019

CMS WINDOW SYSTEMS has hit its zero waste to landfill target for the second year running.

In the latest 2018-19 reporting period, the fabricator / installer’s recycling facilities received 2,806 tonnes of post-use timber, PVC-U and aluminium window and door frames which were dismantled and separated ready for collection along with its manufacturing waste.

The company says it is now sending 97% of its waste away for recycling and the remaining 3% is going for use in refuse-derived fuel (RDF) and waste-to-energy (WTE) facilities.
Where possible, recycled materials become part of new windows and doors fabricated by CMS. In the case of its glazing, a partnership with Saint-Gobain Glass means new double glazed units contain 38% of post-use recycled glass, which it says is an industry leading level.

CEO David Ritchie said: “By achieving a zero waste to landfill rate for a second consecutive year, we have demonstrated that hitting our target last year was not simply a one-off and that our processes and systems are robust and effective for the long term.”

The two-year zero landfill milestone comes as CMS is named as a finalist for a Best of VIBES Award, making it one of only a few Scottish businesses to be recognised for their long term record on environmental sustainability.

CMS has aligned its sustainable development strategy with that of the United Nations. The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development provides “a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future”. It is underpinned by 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including ‘Quality Education’, ‘Decent Work & Economic Growth’ and ‘Responsible Production & Consumption’, which CMS has translated into numerous initiatives across the business, including the creation of the CMS Academy. This is currently providing apprenticeships for twelve young people and helps to tackle high NEET rates in the local community.

<< Click here to return to Aluminium in architecture

Should you wish to advertise on Aluminium in Architecture
please contact
or telephone 01923 461527, mobile 07977-981753.


View the Ratecard: Click here
Editorial should be sent to: