GGF made ‘significant progress’ – Buckley
GGF Chief Executive Kevin Buckley has marked his first 12 months in office by proclaiming the organisation’s ‘significant progress’ in that time and praising its members for their loyalty and commitment.
“We have made great strides in the last 12 months, as we continue to deliver key benefits for Members,” he said, “It’s fair to say that when I became Group Chief Executive, I was very familiar with the GGF commercial subsidiaries but had less knowledge of the industry and the Federation. In the last twelve months, my views have been transformed. I’m continually amazed at the breadth and depth of the GGF Membership and of the loyalty and commitment of the many passionate individuals that contribute to the Federation.”
He also emphasised the importance of listening to members, saying it was a misperception that the organisation did not keep in touch with members or value their views: “One thing that I have found most worthwhile this last 12 months, has been discussing GGF activities with our members and listening to comments and suggestions.
“I know the GGF team come into contact with hundreds of Members and I believe that making myself available to Members in various forums, talking about what I am doing and listening to opinions is one of the most important aspects of my role. I have made it a personal objective to do this and since my appointment, I have visited Members both individually and through attending many of the GGF’s Regional, Technical and Members’ meetings.”
He also listed some of the GGF’s most notable achievements:
• Expanded and reconfigured the GGF Regional team with two new Regional Managers as the GGF’s continues to facilitate over 40 regional meetings per year which attract both existing and new Members.
• Launched the GGF Training programme with accredited courses for installers and surveyors to enhance performance in the workplace.
• Continued to promote and develop the GLASS Charter – the GGF’s health and safety scheme to help you provide a safer working environment on site, in factories and during transit.
• Launched a new intranet system to improve internal communications and enhance staff engagement and to develop greater team work.
• Established three distinct political strategies for fire safety, energy efficiency, skills and training. The renewed political focus on these topical areas benefits not just GGF Members but the entire industry.
• Created a new External Affairs department to focus more on media relations, political relationships and PR.
• Worked closely with government on issues associated with Brexit – an area the GGF is constantly updating as the timeframes and implementation shifts.
• Rejuvenated the approach and activities of the GGF Heritage Group to help businesses overcome the restrictions imposed by local authorities on companies operating in the heritage or conservation sectors.
• Launched new GGF Brand guidelines and a new sharper logo
• Launched the new GGF website – making it easier to navigate across all digital devices and platforms
• Recruited over 50 new Members into membership
• Launched a new Members only fortnightly e-newsletter called “Members First” to ensure that all Members receive GGF news first and in a clear and easy format.
• Hosted and organised high profile events including Members Day and the recent President’s Reception.
These are just some of the outstanding projects the GGF Staff has delivered and continue to deliver for Members.
As to the future, he concluded: “For the rest of this year and into next year, we will increase our technical resource and publish more technical documents. We will also develop and promote our training courses and will be launching a new suite of health and safety publications. Added to this we will continue to drive our political campaigns, build stronger relationships and develop synergies with like-minded organisations. There’s lots more to do and much more to come, as we make it our mission to continue to provide better services and improve the trading environment for GGF Members and the wider industry.
“In the next few months the Federation also plans to have a strong presence at major exhibitions including FIT Show, FIREX, Glass Performance Days and VITRUM. At these events the GGF will be presenting seminars, imparting technical expertise, promoting best practice, engaging with the industry and also continuing to bring more companies into the GGF Membership as part of their recruitment strategy...”